why Barcelona didn't let Mascherano follow Alves to Juventus-A captain without an armband

 

The Argentine has signed a new deal to remain at Camp Nou for three more years - recognition for a player who has led by example ever since he signed from Liverpool in 2010.

 
Barcelona lost one player to Juventus this summer. Dani Alves left for Turin after eight years at Camp Nou and at one point, it looked like Javier Mascherano may follow him. However, the Catalan club have moved to make sure the Argentine stays put - and that's great news for Luis Enrique.

The Barca boss admitted last week that he had been surprised by the departure of Alves. "I can only praise him," he said. "I wish him the best, he is one of the best professionals I have seen in my career. Juventus have strengthened their team really well with Alves."

The Italian champions also wanted to sign Mascherano and after moving to Juve, Alves admitted: "It would be an honour to share this adventure with Mascherano." But if losing one of their first-team members to Juve was bad enough, Barca have made sure they will not be losing two to a side that will be one of their major rivals in Europe next season.

"The club have told me they have no intention of letting me leave, that they are very happy with me," the 32-year-old said last month. And days earlier, Barca's sporting director Robert Fernandez had vowed: "Mascherano will stay with Barca. I'm clear about that and we'll look for a positive solution for everyone."

0 comments:

Post a Comment